Andhra man arrested for sheep theft, found dead in police station - Amaravati News
by IANS | Updated Jan 17, 2023
Ramanjaneyulu was found dead in Rayadurgam police station. Police said he hanged himself to a fan in the computer room.
Some villagers had caught him and another person Srinivasulu for theft of sheep on Monday. They thrashed the accused and later handed them over to police.
Both the accused were subsequently shifted to Rayadurgam police station. Ramanjaneyulu, allegedly committed suicide by hanging late on Monday night. However, his family members alleged that he died because of the physical torture by the police.
Taking serious note of the incident, Anantapur district Superintendent of Police Fakirappa visited Rayadurgam police station. He enquired about the incident and later suspended circle inspector Srinivasulu, two constables Madhu Babu and Ganganna and a home guard for their negligence.
The SP questioned the police personnel as to why the accused was kept in the computer room and not in the lockup.
The body of the deceased was sent for autopsy as per the guidelines of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). A magisterial inquiry will be conducted into the incident.
The SP asked Anantapur incharge Deputy Superintendent of Police Mahboob Basha to conduct departmental inquiry and submit a report for further action.
- Taaraka Ratna continues to be in critical state at B'luru hospital
- Goa minister condemns Amit Shah's statement on Mhadei
- Accountant held for harassing his ex-fiancee
- Chhattisgarh coal levy extortion scam: ED attaches more assets worth Rs 17.48 cr
- Nitish Kumar suffering from memory loss, says BJP MLA
- 'All wolves are joining hands but I will fight them like a lion', Jagan targets Oppn
- Ahead of Feb-16 Tripura assembly polls, another BJP MLA resigns
- Delhi CM inaugurates facility to identify pollution sources in real time
- Criminal wanted in attempt to murder case arrested in Delhi
- Mamata to directly supervise party affairs in Birbhum in Anubrata Mondal's absence