Adopted measures to curb menace of money power in election, will continue in future: ECI to SC - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
The poll body's response came on a plea by one Prabhakar Deshpande seeking directions to come up with a comprehensive plan to curb excessive poll spending by political parties and candidates and action against erring candidates and parties.
The ECI, in an affidavit, contended that such a mechanism already exists and it has substantially managed to curb excessive poll spending by political parties.
The poll body said one of the reasons for more money being seized today is the increased vigilance and efforts of the ECI.
"The ECI has time and again adopted various measures to curb the menace of money power in elections and will continue to do so in future...,", said an affidavit filed by V.K. Pandey, Director (Law), ECI.
The poll body emphasized that it is seriously concerned about the increasing use of money power in elections.
"To curb this menace, the ECI has effectively and successfully enforced the Election Expenditure Monitoring mechanism in the elections since the general elections to Bihar Legislative Assembly, 2010. In order to keep the election expenditure within the statutory limit prescribed under Rule 90 of the Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961 and also to curb excess expenditure/unaccounted expenditure, the ECI has introduced a robust mechanism for election expenditure monitoring during elections," said the affidavit.
The poll body added that this includes deployment of expenditure observers, video surveillance teams, video viewing teams, accounting teams, complaint monitoring and call centre, media certification, and monitoring committee, flying squads and static surveillance teams.
- J'khand HC grants relief to Rahul Gandhi in case pertaining to remarks against Amit Shah
- Delhi HC dismisses 2006 Mumbai train blasts convict's plea for govt reports
- Calcutta HC upholds life sentence to Pakistani terrorist held in Kolkata
- All India Motor Transport Congress supports Himachal truckers' stir
- Two arrested for gang-raping minor in Bihar's Sheohar
- BJP wins 4 out of 5 seats in UP MLC election
- Assam: Massive crackdown against child marriages; 1,800 held
- Two Bengaluru cops suspended for extorting couple
- What's new at Surajkund Craft Mela 2023?
- Kerala HC asks CBI to file report on probe in Palakkad twin sisters rape-murder case