5 members of new militant group arrested in Dhaka - Dhaka News
by IANS | Updated Dec 05, 2022
The arrests took place on November 30 from Dhaka's Demra area, CTTC officials said.
The officials said that after the group was formed in 2017, the members began training in the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
CTTC chief Md. Asaduzzaman said the group's head Shamin Mahfuz has been arrested and they were likely planning an act of sabotage inside the country.
"We will be able to know whether they have any plan centering the upcoming elections after arresting their leader," he said.
Asaduzzaman also said that the youths had left home for pilgrimage but joined the militant outfit instaed.
The arrested militants were identified s Md Abdullah (22), Md Tajul Islam (33), Md Ziauddin (37), Md Habibullah (19), and Md Mahamudul Hasan (18), the CTTC chief told IANS on Monday.
Police seized three mobile phones and 12 pages of militancy-related fatwa documents from their possession.
- Death toll in suicide bombing in Pakistan mosque reaches 72
- Covid-19 still int'l health emergency: WHO
- Palestinian killed by Israeli soldiers in southern West Bank: Medics
- Iran summons Ukraine's envoy over presidential aide's tweet about Isfahan drone attack
- Israeli citizen arrested after crossing into Lebanon
- Egyptian Prez, US state secretary discuss Israeli-Palestinian tensions
- 331 migrants rescued off Libyan coast in past week: IOM
- Croatian Prez criticises NATO chief's visit to S. Korea, Japan
- Turkey may evaluate NATO applications of Finland, Sweden separately: FM
- Hungary reports strong tourism rebound in 2022