4 states, 2 UTs response on minorities at district/state level still awaited, SC told - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
The Ministry of Minority Affairs, in a status report, said: "That, inspite of consultative VC meetings dated July 25, 2022, September 10, 2022 and December 5, 2022 held under the chairmanship of Secretary with the officers of the said states/UTs and several reminders issued. However, inputs/comments from the remaining 6 state governments/UTs namely Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand, Lakshadweep, Rajasthan, and Telangana are still awaited."
It said it has sent a reminder to the four states and two UTs in the matter on December 21, 2022.
The written response came on a PIL filed by advocate Ashwini Kumar Upadhyay and others. The top court is scheduled to hear the matter on Friday.
In the previous hearing, the Central government had sought time from the court to hold consultations with the state governments.
In November last year, the Central government had told the apex court that on the issue of identification of minorities at the state level, it has held consultative meetings with all states and other stakeholders, and 14 states have furnished their views so far.
The top court is hearing the petitions, including the one filed by Upadhyay, which sought directions for framing guidelines for identification of minorities at the state level, contending that Hindus are in minority in 10 states.
- After two days of rain & snow weather improves in Kashmir
- TN power utility seeks approval to purchase solar power from farmers
- Jammu-Srinagar National Highway closed for 2nd day
- Sonia to attend President address as Congress leaders stuck in Srinagar
- BRS & AAP to boycott Prez address
- PM Modi to visit poll bound K'taka on Feb 6
- Rape victim's brother found dead in UP's Meerut
- PM Modi to inaugurate Delhi-Mumbai Expressway on Feb 12
- Three held for duping Swiss tourist at Taj Mahal
- Prez Murmu to address joint sitting of Parliament first time