World Tourism Day - World Tourism Day History, Importance and all you need to know about this day
Updated: Sep 02,2020 07:23 GMT
World Tourism Day is celebrated on 27th September and aims to foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic values. Get more information in this article about the history, significance of World Tourism Day.
World Tourism Day 2020
World Tourism Day is celebrated on 27th of September every year. World Tourism Day is observed to create awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism. World Tourism Day also provides a unique opportunity to raise awareness on tourism and potential contribution to sustainable development. The UNWTO Secretary-General annually sends out a message to the general public to mark the occasion. Many tourism enterprises and organizations, as well as government agencies with a special interest in tourism, celebrate the event with various special events and festivities.
What is the History of World Tourism Day?
The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) declared Tourism Day to encourage responsible, sustainable, and universally accessible tourism. It benefits both the tourists and the locations that they visit and is one of the primary drivers of economic growth.
The United Nations World Tourism Organization put together the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism to help increase the benefits of tourism while minimizing its impact and protecting the people, cultures, and environments of the locations people visit and experience.
Tourism Day has been going for many years now, and it was the third session of the UNWTO General Assembly, whereby it was decided in Spain at Torremolinos in September of 1979 that Tourism Day would be instituted.
This led to the first Tourism Day taking place the following year, in 1980. The date was selected to coincide with a vital milestone in global tourism. This being the anniversary of when the UNWTO Statutes were adopted on the 27th of September in 1970. It is also an appropriate choice because it marks the beginning of the season in the southern hemisphere and the high season in the northern hemisphere.
What is the Importance of World Tourism Day?
The primary purpose of celebrating World Tourism Day is to raise the importance of tourism worldwide and show the general public how tourism affects not only the country's economic values but also the social, political, and cultural values of the country region.
In World Tourism Day's October session, 1997 at Istanbul, Turkey, the United Nations World Trade Organisations General Assembly decided to designate a host country every year to act as a partner during World Tourism Day.
The Celebration of World Tourism Day 2019 was in Delhi, India. India hosted World Tourism Day for the first time because of its geographical features. India is famous for its diversity and can offer tourists various cuisines, adventurous places, musical forms, history, languages, etc. UNWTO stressed the significance of tourism and technology, providing opportunities for innovation and creating future jobs. Our Heritage and Culture can be protected by educating people about it during exhibitions. It is vital to preserve flora and fauna.
World Tourism Day 2020 Theme
World Tourism Day's purpose at the European Council on Tourism and Trade is to raise awareness among the international community on the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political, and economic value.
Djibouti and Addis Ababa are the host cities and nations for the celebration of World Tourism Day 2020 on the theme 'Tourism: Building Peace! Fostering Knowledge!'
The theme of World Tourism Day 2019 is 'Tourism and Jobs: a better future for all.' This year's theme focuses on generating more and better jobs, especially for youth and women. The program was held in Delhi, India. The theme of World Tourism Day 2018 is "Tourism and Cultural Protection," and for 2017 was "Sustainable Tourism – a tool for development."
Best Tourist Spots
Traveling helps you find peace, and it helps you discover and explore new things in life. Tourism allows you to know the different lifestyles in each part of the world. Here are a few places which are a must-visit during your lifetime.
- Eiffel Tower - Paris
- Taj Mahal - India
- Louvre Museum - Paris
- La Sagrada Familia - Barcelona
- Colosseum - Rome
- Burj Khalifa - Dubai
- Statue of Liberty - New York
- The British Museum - London
- Times Square - New York
- Walt Disney World - USA
The above mentioned places are very famous. But apart from this, there are a list of places that you can visit to explore new things.
World Tourism Day 2020 - Celebrations
Usually, World Tourism Day is celebrated by visiting the best tourist spots in one’s own country or out of the country. The year 2020 has been a disaster to the entire world, and unfortunately, this year, people are not allowed to travel to contain the deadly virus from spreading. But still, there are a few tourist places, allowing visitors with full precautions. For example, Dubai is welcoming tourists with sanitized hotels and many other facilities and precautions.
You can try to visit places that allow tourists with the utmost safety. If not, you can spend time at home reading and preparing your bucket list to visit the places in the coming years
- B'desh issues over 200 import permits for 88K tonnes of onions
- Delhi couple commits suicide by consuming poison
- LS passes Bill for legal framework to bilateral netting of QFCs
- Farm bills will pave way for new option to farmers: Haryana Min
- Shaheen Afridi takes four wickets in four balls in T20 match
- Top Indian, Chinese military leaders to meet again on Monday, Pangong Lake on agenda
- 3 most unwanted bowling records Ashwin, Mishra, Chawla hold
- Covid death toll crosses 8K mark in Karnataka
- LG Uplus joins Google Cloud for 5G mobile edge computing tech
- 'HC verdict's aim to ensure M.P. Birla Group's smooth functioning'
- Mumbai to get 150 more suburban train services from Monday
- Gurugram: Three arrested for throwing mobile phones into jail
- Opposition parties think they are 'Baadshah': Pralhad Joshi on RS mayhem
- 32,238 paramilitary personnel contracted Covid: Government
- Cops take wheels off stunt bikers, 5 nabbed (Ld)
- Are there any doubts: Tendulkar backs MI to win title
- Stoinis' blistering 53 drags DC to 157/8 against KXIP
- 'Black day' for parliamentary democracy: Congress
- Tharoor slams Centre's Covid management strategy
- Transgender activist joins Karnataka Congress
- General News
- Cinema/Showbiz News
- National News
- Sports News
- Science/Technology News
- International News
- Business News
- Entertainment News
- INDIA News
- Tech News
- Lottery Results News
- Quotes News
- Corona News
- LifeStyle News
- Lyrics News
- Religion News
- Cricket News
- FootBall News
- WWE Wrestling News
- Television News
- Games News
- Movies News
- Apps News
- Videos News
- App News News
- Mobiles & Tabs News
- Mobile Recharge News
- DTH Recharge News
- Laptops News
- Gadgets News
- Good Morning Quotes
- International Translation Day
- World Heart Day
- Teachers Day
- World Tourism Day
- World Rose Day
- World Toilet Day
- National Integration Day
- World Computer Literacy Day
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People 2020
- Africa Industrialization Day
- Territorial Army Day
- World Day of Social Justice 2020
- Armistice Day 2020
- International Day of Peace
- International Literacy Day
- International Day of Charity
- Engineer's Day
- International Coffee Day
- World Habitat Day
- World Animal Welfare Day
- Indian Air Force Day
- International Day of Non-Violence
- Gandhi Jayanti 2020