World Animal Welfare Day - Everything you need to know about World Animal Welfare Day History, Significance and Facts
Updated: Aug 03,2020 09:31 GMT
World Animal Welfare Day is celebrated on 4th October across the world to raise awareness about improving the welfare standards of the animals across the world and also to celebrate the relationship between humankind and animal kingdom. Get more information about World Animal Welfare Day, its history, significance and much more.
World Animal Welfare Day 2020
World Animal Welfare Day is celebrated on the 4th of October every year. World Animal Welfare Day is celebrated to create awareness about the importance of improving the welfare standards of animals worldwide. World Animal Welfare Day was first started in 1931 at a convention of ecologists in Florence, Italy, to highlight the importance of endangered species. It is also known as "Animal Lovers Day." Though it is a beautiful way to unite the animal welfare movement around the world, embracing all animals and the unique concerns of each in every country, many factors lead to this day's origin. Let us have a look at all the factors in detail in this article.
What is the History of World Animal Welfare Day?
World Animal Day concurs with the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of ecology, including animals. Heinrich Zimmermann first organized it on the 24th of March 1925. He hosted the first-ever World Animal Day at Sports Palace in Berlin, Germany. More than 5,000 people attended the first event. The event was first scheduled for the 4th of October to align with Saint Francis of Assisi feast day but was moved to March due to the venue's unavailability.
In 2003, Naturewatch Foundation, a UK-based animal welfare charity launched the first World Animal Day website. It is a small charity and financial support for World Animal Day. It has always been minimal, identifying cost-effective ways to progress this powerful movement, which is key to ensuring its full potential.
What is the Aim and Significance of World Animal Welfare Day?
World Animal Welfare Day aims to improve animal welfare standards worldwide through the support and involvement of individuals, groups, and organizations that love and care for animals. It is also known as “Animal Lovers Day.” Though it is a beautiful way to unite the animal welfare movement around the world, embracing all animals and the unique needs of each in every country, many factors lead to the origin of this day. These factors included the inhuman treatment given to the world’s 60 billion farm animals, negligence to stray dogs and cats, and illegal killing and selling of wild animals. Moreover, the animals are usually kept out of mind during any natural disasters or calamities.
It is important to spread awareness about the importance of animals in humans’ life and be kind to animals in every possible way. Feeding not only your pet dog or cat but also stray animals is also equally important.
World Animal Welfare day Celebrations
The best thing about World Animal day is that it is not restricted to any nationality, creed, religion, political belief, or ideology. This observance is for those who care for animals and who should care for these beautiful creations. Several organizations, animal welfare groups, individuals, schools, charitable trusts, and clubs, etc. participate in the World Animal day celebration. Every year, the number of events happening on this day has increased substantially. This day's purpose is to ensure our active contributions in saving endangered species and care for all other species of animals. The occasion offers us a reason to unite the animal welfare movement worldwide.
Animal welfare campaigns are launched on World Animal Welfare Day. Rescue shelters for the animals are opened across the world, along with fundraising events. Schools and a varied group of wildlife arrange information displays. Voluntary organizations come forward to sponsor shelter for the animals. World Animal Welfare day is an essential reminder of different ways in which animals brighten our lives.
Some interesting facts about Animals
- A cow’s “moo” has a different accent depending on what region they originate from
- Bats always turn left when they fly out of a cave
- Zebras are actually white with black stripes
- Flamingoes can eat only when their heads are upside down
- A duck’s “quack” never echoes, anywhere, and nobody knows why
- The fingerprints of a koala are so indistinguishable from humans that they have on occasion been confused at a crime scene.
- Elephants are the only animal that can't jump.
- A Rhino's horn is made of hair
- It is possible to hypnotize a frog by placing it on its back and gently stroking its stomach.
- It takes a sloth two weeks to digest its food.
- Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.
- Giraffes have no vocal chords.
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
- Around 50 percent of orangutans have fractured bones, due to falling out of trees on a regular basis.
- Frogs cannot vomit. If one absolutely has to, then it will vomit its entire stomach.
- Parrots will selflessly help each other out
- Female lions do 90 percent of the hunting
- The world's oldest known breed of domesticated dog dates back to 329 BC
- And the oldest evidence of domesticated cats dates back 9,500 years.
- Bottlenose dolphins are even more right-handed than humans.
- Capuchin monkeys wash their hands and feet in urine.
- A grizzly bear's bite is strong enough to crush a bowling ball.
- Ducks can surf.
- Zebra stripes act as a natural bug repellant.
- Octopuses can taste with their arms.
- Dolphins have names for one another.
- Reindeer eyes turn blue in the winter.
- Adult cats only meow at humans.
- Otters have the world's thickest fur.
- Snow leopards don't roar.
- Squirrels will adopt orphans.
- Deer can run up to 35 miles per hour.
- Cats recognize their own name but choose not to respond.
- Giraffes with darker spots are more dominant.
- Horses have distinct facial expressions.
- Ruling Congress played fraud with farmers: Sukhbir Badal
- Delhi Police bust gang of women thieves from MP
- 'Foe-turned-friend': Jose K. Mani's party welcomed into LDF
- Huawei launches 'Mate 40' phones with 5nm Kirin 9000 chip
- 750 kg stingray caught in K'taka, video clip goes viral
- Covid-19 vaccine will be provided free for all in TN: CM
- 103 deliveries in IPL and still no six from big-hitting Stokes
- Covid-hit developers dole out festive offers for home buyers
- Offer NRIs life insurance with currency flexibility: IFSCA panel
- Air India pilots seek meeting with Civil Aviation Minister
- Play Rajshree Game
- Some fun as Rashid imitates Muralitharan's bowling action
- Andhra revises traffic violation penalties for better enforcement
- West Bengal Lottery Result
- Battle of the biggies: Modi, Rahul to address rallies in Bihar on Friday
- Nagaland State Lottery Result
- Assam State Lottery Result Today
- Bhutan Lottery Result
- Trump, Biden to debate with mike muzzle to cut interruptions
- Bigg Boss 14: Shehzad Deol rues eviction through in-house voting
- General News
- Cinema/Showbiz News
- National News
- Sports News
- Science/Technology News
- International News
- Business News
- Entertainment News
- INDIA News
- Tech News
- Lottery Results News
- Quotes News
- Corona News
- LifeStyle News
- Lyrics News
- Cricket News
- Religion News
- Cricket News
- Television News
- App News News
- Games News
- Movies News
- Mobiles & Tabs News
- Apps News
- Videos News
- Mobile Recharge News
- DTH Recharge News
- FootBall News
- Laptops News
- Gadgets News
- WWE Wrestling News
- Good Morning Quotes
- Indian Air Force Day 2020
- International Translation Day
- World Heart Day
- Teachers Day
- World Tourism Day
- World Rose Day
- World Toilet Day
- National Integration Day
- World Computer Literacy Day
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People 2020
- Africa Industrialization Day
- Territorial Army Day
- World Day of Social Justice 2020
- Armistice Day 2020
- International Day of Peace
- International Literacy Day
- International Day of Charity
- Engineer's Day
- International Coffee Day
- World Habitat Day
- World Animal Welfare Day
- International Day of Non-Violence
- Gandhi Jayanti 2020