World Social Justice Day 2020 - World Day of Social Justice Theme, Importance, History, Significance and many more
Updated: Aug 27,2020 06:32 GMT
World Social Justice Day is celebrated internationally on the 20th of February every year to promote social justice which tackles issues such as poverty, unemployment, social protection, human rights, exclusion, and gender equality. It was decided and approved on the 26th of November 2007 and started in 2009 by the United Nations (UN) General Assembly to observe 20th February as the World Day of Social Justice. The above-mentioned declaration focuses on guaranteeing fair outcomes for Social Protection and rights
World Day of Social Justice
World Day of Social Justice is celebrated globally on the 20th of February every year. World Day of Social Justice is celebrated mainly to bring together the various groups or communities internationally, to eliminate poverty, gender inequality, illiteracy, religious and physical discrimination and to make a society socially integrated.
Organizations like The United Nations, American Library Association (ALA), and the International Labor Organization stated various importance of social justice for people. Many schools, colleges, and universities organize special events around a particular theme which is related to poverty, socio-economic exclusions or unemployment to make the students understand the values and principles of social justice. It also gives the idea of not sitting on the sidelines of life and watching injustice if somebody faces it instead one should speak it out and consciously push it back.
World Day of Social Justice: 2020 Theme
World Social Justice Day is observed to raise voice against social injustice and to remove gender, age, race barriers, etc. The Theme for World Day of Social Justice 2020 is Closing the Inequalities Gap to Achieve Social Justice. If you want Peace & Development, Work for Social Justice was the theme for World Social Justice Day 2019.
What is the History of World Day of Social Justice?
At the World Summit for Social Development which was held in Copenhagen, Denmark in the year 1995, more than 100 political leaders took a pledge to make the society poverty, unemployment, etc free and also pledged to put people at the center of development plans. Nearly after 10 years, the Copenhagen Declaration and Programme of Action were reviewed by the UN’s members in New York where they gathered for Social Development in February 2005.
Later on 26th November 2007, it was declared by the UN General that February 20 will be celebrated as The World Day of Social Justice, and the celebration was first scheduled and observed in 2009.
How is World Day of Social Justice Celebrated?
The main objective behind the celebration of World Social Justice Day is to raise our voice against social injustice and to promote social justice and to eliminate poverty, gender and physical discrimination by bringing together the various international groups or communities.
The celebration of such a great day is focussed on the achievement of full employment and social integral support. The day is not a public holiday but a global observance day. This day is also known by different names in various other languages. As we celebrate this day we celebrate social justice which means to work toward celebrating the diversity in our communities and society with the greatest need and the access to the right jobs. The idea of Social Justice day celebration is to have equal access to wealth, health, all well-being, privileges and justice regardless of any legal, economical, political or any other circumstances.
Few facts on World Social Justice Day
- Between 2000 and 2007, employment growth is 0.9% as compared to the growth since 2008 the average growth was 0.1%.
- More than 60% of workers lack any kind of employment contract.
- Less than 45% salaried workers are employed on a full time basis and even that share is declining.
- More than 212 million people were out of work by 2019 which was up from 201 million in the previous years.
- To keep the pace of the working-age population 600 million jobs need to be created by 2030.
Some Inspirational Quotes on Social Justice:
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Justice? -- You get justice in the next world. In this one you have the law.” - William Gaddis
“Social Justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.” - Pope John Paul II
“Until the great mass of the people shall be filled with the sense of responsibility for each other's welfare, social justice can never be attained.” - Helen Keller
“Courage is of no value unless accompanied by justice; yet if all men became just, there would be no need for courage.” - Agesilaus the Second
“The failure to invest in civil justice is directly related to the increase in criminal disorder. The more people feel there is injustice the more it becomes part of their psyche.” - Wilhelm Joseph
“The challenge of social justice is to evoke a sense of community that we need to make our nation a better place, just as we make it a safer place.” -Marian Wright Edelman.
“We need love, and to ensure love, we need to have full employment, and we need social justice. We need gender equality. We need freedom from hunger. These are our most fundamental needs as social creatures.” - David Suzuki
- Pandey, Shankar lead SRH to 8-wkt win over RR
- Delhi HC to hear Gautam Khaitan's plea for staying proceedings on Dec 1
- Tiger skin, claws seized from astrologer's house in Karnataka
- Maha Covid recoveries gallop, active cases drop to 1.5L (Roundup)
- Man held for duping people on pretext of providing FCI tender
- Security researcher breaks into Trump's Twitter account
- World hockey body approves its reviewed gender equality policy
- J&K Admin announces changes in Civil Service Regulations
- 1,136 new cases swell Gujarat's Covid tally to 1,64,121
- Ruling Congress played fraud with farmers: Sukhbir Badal
- Delhi Police bust gang of women thieves from MP
- 'Foe-turned-friend': Jose K. Mani's party welcomed into LDF
- Huawei launches 'Mate 40' phones with 5nm Kirin 9000 chip
- 750 kg stingray caught in K'taka, video clip goes viral
- Covid-19 vaccine will be provided free for all in TN: CM
- 103 deliveries in IPL and still no six from big-hitting Stokes
- Covid-hit developers dole out festive offers for home buyers
- Offer NRIs life insurance with currency flexibility: IFSCA panel
- Air India pilots seek meeting with Civil Aviation Minister
- Play Rajshree Game
- General News
- Cinema/Showbiz News
- National News
- Sports News
- Science/Technology News
- International News
- Business News
- Entertainment News
- INDIA News
- Tech News
- Lottery Results News
- Quotes News
- Corona News
- LifeStyle News
- Lyrics News
- Cricket News
- Religion News
- Cricket News
- Television News
- App News News
- Games News
- Movies News
- Mobiles & Tabs News
- Apps News
- Videos News
- Mobile Recharge News
- DTH Recharge News
- FootBall News
- Laptops News
- Gadgets News
- WWE Wrestling News
- Good Morning Quotes
- Indian Air Force Day 2020
- International Translation Day
- World Heart Day
- Teachers Day
- World Tourism Day
- World Rose Day
- World Toilet Day
- National Integration Day
- World Computer Literacy Day
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People 2020
- Africa Industrialization Day
- Territorial Army Day
- World Day of Social Justice 2020
- Armistice Day 2020
- International Day of Peace
- International Literacy Day
- International Day of Charity
- Engineer's Day
- International Coffee Day
- World Habitat Day
- World Animal Welfare Day
- International Day of Non-Violence
- Gandhi Jayanti 2020