International Charity Day 2020 - International Charity Day History, Significance and International Charity Day Quotes
Updated: Aug 07,2020 07:26 GMT
International Charity Day 2020 is observed on 5th September every year to mark the death anniversary of Mother Teresa and to create awareness about the significance of charity in our daily lives. This article provides you all information about International Charity Day History, International Charity Day Celebrations, Mother Teresa and much more.
International Charity Day 2020
International Charity Day 2020 is celebrated on 5th September annually. International Charity Day is observed to commemorate the death anniversary of Mother Teresa, who is well-known for her charity deeds. International Charity Day was marked by the UN to remind us to be kind to people who need and promote the charity. International Day of Charity aims to increase social responsibility worldwide, expand our support for charitable causes, and bring everyone together in solidarity. This day gives you a great opportunity to get involved in the charity events that are going on around the world.
What is the History of International Charity Day?
International Day of Charity started in Hungary as a way for the Hungarian Civil Society to enhance visibility, organize charitable events, and raise public support for the charity.
The day 5th September was chosen to commemorate the passing of Mother Teresa, who was known for her dedication to charitable work and gave her life to helping others and overcoming poverty, suffering, and distress. Teaching children about the work of Mother Teresa is one way of recognizing the importance of the day.
The day was officially declared by the United Nations in 2012 and is part of their 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development, recognizing the barriers that poverty places on international development. By encouraging social responsibility on 5th September, we will better understand the most vulnerable needs to help the international community move forward.
What is the Importance of International Charity Day?
It reminds us to give back - it’s elementary to live our lives and forget about all the injustices in the world. International Day of Charity helps bring our attention back and raise awareness of the little ways we can help.
It spreads awareness - International Day of Charity gives a platform to causes that we might otherwise not be aware of as well as providing lots of ways to help these causes.
It helps us find causes we believe in - everyone has different reasons they feel passionate about whether it be animal rights or the environment. Giving a platform to lots of different purposes International Day of Charity may help you find a charity you feel passionate about!
About Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa was born in Skopje, the Republic of Macedonia's current capital on August 26, 1910, to Nikola and Dranafile Bojaxhiu of Albanian-descent. The next day, she was baptized as Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu. Mother Teresa, a nun, and a missionary was known in the Catholic church as Saint Teresa of Calcutta, devoted her life to caring for the sick and needy. Mother Teresa, having taught in India for 17 years, experienced her "call within a call" in 1946. Her order established a hospice; centers for the blind, aged and disabled; and a leper colony.
Mother Teresa received the Nobel Peace Prize for her humanitarian work in 1979. After several years of deteriorating health, including heart, lung, and kidney problems, Mother Teresa died on September 5, 1997, at 87. She was beatified in October 2003. In December 2015, Pope Francis recognized a second miracle that Mother Teresa attributed, clearing the way for her to be canonized on September 4, 2016.
Ways to Celebrate International Charity Day
There are so many fun ways to get involved with International Day of Charity, whether that be organizing your own event to raise money, volunteering with a local good cause, or simply raising awareness for a charitable organization. It doesn’t matter how much time or money you have to spare since there are lots of different things to do.
Start by having a look at whether your preferred charities or local organizations are running events for the day that you could get involved with. If not, consider planning your own fundraising event, here are some fun ideas:
- Get your kids to bake their favorite cakes and biscuits to sell to raise funds for a chosen charity.
- Run for Fun - choose a fancy dress theme, so everyone can have a laugh whilst doing exercise and get sponsored for doing it.
You can also spend the day learning more about Mother Teresa in order to pay honor to the International Day of Charity. There have been a number of films and books that Mother Teresa has been the subject of. You can also spend International Day of Charity learning about different charities. There are lots of charities around the world, with various causes. This includes charities for mental health, animal shelters, charities for seniors, organizations for those with specific health problems, charities for the homeless, and so on and so forth. You can make a donation to them, or you can get in touch and find out what sort of help they need. It could be that they would really value your time. Don’t forget to raise awareness on social media and such like.
Quotes by Mother Teresa
“Peace begins with a smile..”
“There are no great things, only small things with great love. Happy are those.”
“Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”
“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”
“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”
“If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.”
“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.”
“Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.”
“Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.”
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
- Rs 8.5 lakh seized from car in Congress' Patna office
- Pandey, Shankar lead SRH to 8-wkt win over RR
- Andhra Pradesh Group-I mains exams postponed
- Andhra reports 3K new Covid cases, tally reaches 7.96L
- Delhi HC to hear Gautam Khaitan's plea for staying proceedings on Dec 1
- Tiger skin, claws seized from astrologer's house in Karnataka
- Maha Covid recoveries gallop, active cases drop to 1.5L (Roundup)
- Man held for duping people on pretext of providing FCI tender
- Security researcher breaks into Trump's Twitter account
- World hockey body approves its reviewed gender equality policy
- J&K Admin announces changes in Civil Service Regulations
- 1,136 new cases swell Gujarat's Covid tally to 1,64,121
- Ruling Congress played fraud with farmers: Sukhbir Badal
- Delhi Police bust gang of women thieves from MP
- 'Foe-turned-friend': Jose K. Mani's party welcomed into LDF
- Huawei launches 'Mate 40' phones with 5nm Kirin 9000 chip
- 750 kg stingray caught in K'taka, video clip goes viral
- Covid-19 vaccine will be provided free for all in TN: CM
- 103 deliveries in IPL and still no six from big-hitting Stokes
- Covid-hit developers dole out festive offers for home buyers
- General News
- Cinema/Showbiz News
- National News
- Sports News
- Science/Technology News
- International News
- Business News
- Entertainment News
- INDIA News
- Tech News
- Lottery Results News
- Quotes News
- Corona News
- LifeStyle News
- Lyrics News
- Cricket News
- Religion News
- Cricket News
- Television News
- App News News
- Games News
- Movies News
- Mobiles & Tabs News
- Apps News
- Videos News
- Mobile Recharge News
- DTH Recharge News
- FootBall News
- Laptops News
- Gadgets News
- WWE Wrestling News
- Good Morning Quotes
- Indian Air Force Day 2020
- International Translation Day
- World Heart Day
- Teachers Day
- World Tourism Day
- World Rose Day
- World Toilet Day
- National Integration Day
- World Computer Literacy Day
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People 2020
- Africa Industrialization Day
- Territorial Army Day
- World Day of Social Justice 2020
- Armistice Day 2020
- International Day of Peace
- International Literacy Day
- International Day of Charity
- Engineer's Day
- International Coffee Day
- World Habitat Day
- World Animal Welfare Day
- International Day of Non-Violence
- Gandhi Jayanti 2020